The Janome 6500P has been designed for advanced sewers although if you just use the most basic features, it will definitely serve you well into the future. As you become more experienced, you will easily ‘grow into’ the more advanced aspects of the machine and be able to make full use of all the features. As many customers have noted, the Janome Memory Craft 6500P is the last machine you will ever need to buy. It also has the capability to satisfy creative design requirements.
The machine is fast and able to sew up to 1,000 stitches each minute, as well as having a huge array of stitches. For quilters, it has quilting specific features including applique, a knee lifter and a stitch that looks as if you had quilted your project by hand. The sewing arm is large and a removable sewing tray adds plenty of extra surface space for handling large sewing projects. Raising and lowering the feed dogs easily and quickly also makes handling large projects easier.
The Janome 6500P also has the features you would expect to find with a machine of this caliber such as an auto thread cutter, auto needle threading, a huge range of decorative stitches, a box full of accessories and of course, the ability to memorize and recall stitch settings. Keep reading for full details of what this machine has to offer.
Features of the Janome 6500P
- Design – a fast, computerized sewing machine with advanced features and suitable for professional use
- Motor – is powerful at 1 amp
- Build – is solid and the machine is not meant to be portable, but rather, a workhorse that you leave in situ
- Sewing Speed – when using a straight stitch a maximum speed of 1,000 stitches per minute is usual so you can complete projects quickly. Zig-zag stitch is 700 stitches per minute.
- Bobbin – winding system is independent, top loading and features an independent bobbin motor so that you can wind additional bobbins without un-threading and re-threading the machine.
- Buttonholes – there are seven advanced buttonholes. Six are one-step, sensor buttonholes for perfectly sized buttonholes. The seventh is an automatic buttonhole for bulky and/or difficult fabrics requiring a custom touch. Shapes include square, rounded, keyhole and more.
- Auto Thread Cutter – is automatic and saves time. It can also be programmed into the end of your stitch combinations. You don’t need to stop, lift the presser foot, and manually cut your thread tails. There is a quick key directly above the needle that engages it.
- Needle Threading – this is another time-saving feature requiring only that you push down the lever, loop the thread through, release before being ready to sew.
- Needle Positions – there are seventy one needle drop positions (including 15 left to right needles positions). This ensures that decorative stitches have both detail and quality.
- Twin Needle Guard
- Thread Delivery – is vertical and includes a dual thread guide bar to accommodate a variety of spool types and sizes
- Memory – turnover memory is built in, as is the recall memory bank, the resumption set and last stitch recall.
- Sewing Feet – there are fourteen including zig-zag, rolled hem, overcasting , zipper, darning, satin stitch, cording, over-edging, blind hem, 1/4” seam, quilting guide, buttonhole, even feed and craft feet.
- Bed Space – is 9” x 5” (225mm x 120mm) being the largest arm and bed space to be found on a household sewing machine. An extension table is included to provide even more room for large projects.
- LCD Screen – is backlit, easy to access with raised keys and provides the ability to efficiently navigate the machine’s operations. You press a
key and the screen displays everything you need to know about the stitch or function including stitch diagrams that pop up to confirm your stitch selection. There is also a help key for additional information and/or options.
- Shortcut Buttons – include auto thread cutter, lock stitch, reverse and needle up/down. They are located directly above the sewing area for easy access. There are also indicator lights on the auto thread cutter and the needle up/down keys, which takes away the guess work as to they’re turned on or not.
- Pressure Regulator – is a visible pressure gauge so that you can control how firmly the foot is pressing on your fabric. This is because sometimes bulky layers of fabric need more pressure from the presser foot while sheer fabrics usually need less. The Janome Memory Craft 6500P lets you control visible pressure gauge and shows you the exact position of your ideal setting allowing you to achieve the same results every time.
- 135 decorative and utility stitches including block and script monogram stitches.
- Quilting Stitches – The Janome 6500P has quilting and heirloom stitches including the unique French Knot
- Quick Access Modes – there are four, being direct, quilt, utility and monogramming.
- Lettering Styles – there are two with two sizes. You can choose block or script in 5mm or 7mm and use up to fifty characters including capital and lowercase letters, as well as some foreign alphabet lettering.
- Stitch Manipulation – is easy with via the on-screen selection feature. You can edit both individual and combination stitches. Stitch width can be adjusted from 0 – 7mm while stitch length is adjustable from 0 – 5mm.
- Flip Chart – the 135 stitches are depicted on a flip chart that folds up from the back of the machine
- Stitch Quality – is high as a result of the machine’s powerful motor and precision gearing, resulting in accurate, professional grade stitching at all speeds on any fabric of your choice
- Quilt Mode – has 69 patterns including 4 hand-look stitches.
- Knee Lifter – is widely used is quilting as it lifts the presser foot while leaving the needle in place facilitating the ability to keep your hands on your work. It is also handy for sewing garments as well as home decor projects. It also has a built in safety feature stops the machine and gives you a warning should you inadvertently bump the knee lifter. This will prevent damage to your project and/or breaking a needle
- Feed Dogs – are easy to access and can be quickly raised and lowered as required. It is located on the front of the machine.
- Electronic foot control
- Speed control lever
- Extended seam allowance guide
- Presser foot lift is extra high
- Feed balancing dial is external
- Shut off is indicated by a ‘beep’
- Sewing light
- Soft machine cover
Item Weight: 29 pounds
Item No: 6500P
Warranty: 25 year limited
What’s Great About the Janome Memory Craft 6500P?
- Easy to thread
- Has a large extension table for big projects
- Easy to maintain
- Is fast
- Has an automatic thread cutter
- Knee lift enable hands
- Has an adjustable screen light
- Comes with an auto thread cutter
- Heavy, solid and substantial feel
- Sturdy and powerful performance
- Outstanding features
- Easy to understand manual
- Runs quietly and smoothly
- Accessory case is provided
- Independent automatic bobbin winding
- Presser feet are easy to change
- Needle positions are programmable
- Has two thread spool holders
- Remembers the last stitch you used
- Has a huge range of stitches
- Excellent value for money with equivalent machines by other brands costing far more
- Bobbin cover is clear
- Stitch reference chart is situated on the top of the machine for easy reference while sewing
- Has a pressure button for presser feet depending on fabric thickness
What’s Not so Great
- Doesn’t come with a hard case
- Heavy and not easy to move around
Customer Feedback and Reviews
The customers that have left feedback for the Janome 6500P Sewing Machine rate it with excellent reviews. Things they like about it include its many advanced features, solid build, vast stitch choice, quiet operation, reliability, easy to understand manual, programmable needle positions and intuitive feel. Customers are also impressed with the value for their money with one customer having discovered that an equivalent machine cost $1,200 more with another brand. To read more about what customers had to say, you can read their reviews here.
The Janome 6500P is available from online retailers and you can check for the latest price here. This machine is a hit with customers, many who feel they will not likely ever need another machine simply because of its advanced performance function, reliability and advanced features. Based on customer feedback, we are happy to recommend the Janome as a value for the money purchase.